Mission Statement
I had never before heard Tony Judt's name before Juan Cole mentioned him this morning in Informed Comment - such is the sorry state of my political horizons.Googling him, I discover the following from the 9 October edition of Washington Post:
- Judt, is Jewish and directs New York University's Remarque Institute, which promotes the study of Europe.
- Judt was scheduled to talk Oct. 4 to a nonprofit organization that rents space from the consulate. Judt's subject was the Israel lobby in the United States, and he planned to argue that this lobby has often stifled honest debate.
- An hour before Judt was to arrive, the Polish Consul General Krzysztof Kasprzyk canceled the talk. He said the Anti-Defamation League and the American Jewish Committee had called and he quickly concluded Judt was too controversial.
- Judt, who was born and raised in England and lost much of his family in the Holocaust, took strong exception to the cancellation of his speech. He noted that he was forced to cancel another speech later this month at Manhattan College in the Bronx after a different Jewish group had complained. Other prominent academics have described encountering such problems, in some cases more severe, stretching over the past three decades.
- Judt has crossed rhetorical swords with the Jewish organizations on two key issues. Over the past few years he has written essays in the New York Review of Books, the London Review of Books and in the Israeli newspaper Haaretz arguing that power in Israel has shifted to religious fundamentalists and territorial zealots, that woven into Zionism is a view of the Arab as the irreconcilable enemy, and that Israel might not survive as a communal Jewish state. The solution, he argues, lies in a slow and tortuous walk toward a binational and secular state.
- He has, of late, defended an academic paper, The Israeli Lobby co-authored by professor Stephen M. Walt of Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government and John J. Mearsheimer, a professor at the University of Chicago, which argues the American Israel lobby has pushed policies that are not in the United States' best interests and in fact often encourage Israel to engage in self-destructive behavior.


3 Comments:
Vigilante, I've added my very strong voice to this issue. Here's my post, moments ago: There Can Be No Compromise. Period.
Like you, I had missed the story. And I wouldn't have caught it if not for your blog entry earlier today.
Judt has some very important things to say. The established Jewish community ought to be listening and learning, not censoring his thoughts and ideas.
the Wizard......
Well DAMN!!!! If you make even minor attempts to mention the unfair treatment of Palestinians or even dare to critique the "established Jewish community" you run great risks.
I was just contacted seconds ago about this very similar situation.
From the UK Guardian: US free speech row grows as author says Jewish complaints stopped launch party.
There is a great deal more about Tony Judt in that article, which is why one of my readers emailed it to me....
the Wiz......
Vigilante
I never heard of him either before just now. I would have to say after reading this that he has the credentials to speak his mind and thus the truth.
Perverted, unbridled religious zealots seem to be a large part of the problem today. I would have to say he is right.
As you know we also have unbridled perverted Christianity and the hijacking of our country, right here. Bush has done to America and Christianity what Judt says has happened to Israel and what Bush accuses the Islamists of doing to Islam.
That is why this so called war on terror is going to be the longest and the worst. Religious wars as you know are the worse and this will be the worst and is still just starting I am sorry to say for my sons in this.
Oh yeah, I just linked to The Vigil so feel free to proceed. I thought you and little bill both wrote here. How can I link to her?
Post a Comment
<< Home